Cod with bacon in a creamy sauce with mushrooms and green onion, topped with grated cheese, the ultimate low carb high fat fish dish that the entire family will love. This quick and easy recipe makes for the perfect weeknight dinner and leaves us drooling for seconds. It has Keto grade A and is delicious whether you are on keto or low carb diet or not.
I like to serve this dish with a salad and Keto Roasted Radish "mock potatoes". Other things you could serve it with are broccoli, riced cauliflower, sauteed spinach, asparagus or even zucchini.
2 lbs. wild cod
2 bay leaves
8 tbsp. butter
1 cup chicken bone broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 oz full fat cream cheese
1/2 to 1 tsp. xangthan gum
1 tsp. Italian seasonings
1/2 tsp. black pepper
salt to taste
4 slices of bacon, diced, plus the bacon grease from these
8 oz sliced mushrooms
3 stalks green onion (scallions)
1. Bring a large pot of water with a little salt and 2 bay leaves to boil. Remove the pot from the heat and add the cod. Let sit in the hot water while preparing the rest of the dish.
2. To a sauce pan over medium high heat add the butter and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, seasonings and let simmer for a few minutes until it starts to thicken. Add xangthan gum 1/4 tsp. at the time while stirring continuously. The sauce gets a little thinner while baking so I like to make it quite thick. Taste to see if it requires salt, I usually add 1/2 tsp. but it depends on how salty your broth is.
3. Cook the bacon in a large frying pan over high or medium high heat until it reaches the way you like your bacon cooked. Remove the bacon from the pan, but leave the grease. Now cook the sliced mushrooms in the bacon grease for a couple of minutes until the mushrooms have soaked up most of the grease.
4. Set your oven to 400F degrees.
5. Add the cod to an ovenproof dish. Top with the bacon, mushrooms and scallions. Pour the creamy sauce over everything and top with grated cheese. Store bought grated cheese has starch in it to prevent the cheese from sticking together, so it is always better to grate your own.
6. Bake until the cheese has melted and is starting to change color. Bon Apetit!
How much you will eat as a serving depends on what you make for sides etc, but I have divided the recipe into 6 quite generous and filling servings. Each serving has 5g net carbs, 50g fat and 48g protein and is 668 calories with the ingredients I use.