If you are on a low carb or Ketogenic Diet, chances are high that you miss potatoes, at least when you eat certain dishes that you need something other than salad or vegetables to soak up the sauce etc. Have you tried roasting radishes yet? They are so good, once you have tried them you never have to miss potatoes again.
- 1 bunch of radishes per person
- 2 tbsp. Avocado oil or 1/4 cup bone broth
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh or Dried Oregano or other Italian seasoning
1. Clean the radishes, cut off the stems/leaves and cut them in half. Put them in a casserole with water and a dash salt. Bring to boil and let boil for 5 minutes. Set your oven to 400F degrees.
2. Crush 3 garlic cloves, salt (about 1/2 tsp. per bunch of radishes), pepper and oregano together in a mortar or bowl and add 3 tbsp of olive oil. Let sit while the radishes are roasting so that the herbs infuses with the oil. I don't like to add the olive oil while the radishes are roasting because olive oil can only tolerate about 410F degrees and the garlic and herbs give health benefits when they are close to raw.
3. Put the boiled radishes in an oven proof dish and add 2 tbsp of Avocado oil (or you can use 1/4 cup bone broth). Stir to coat the radishes or use a brush to coat them with oil. Bake in the oven while you prepare the rest of your dinner (about 30 minutes or less). Then set the oven to broil for a few minutes so that the radishes get some color.
4. Add the olive oil/herb mixture to the radishes and put back in the oven for 1-2 minutes until the raw smell of the garlic disappears.
These macros are based on one bunch of radishes totaling one cup of radishes. 1 serving is 1 cup of raw radishes. This is a very large serving, but they are soo good. If you only eat half a cup, just enter 1/2 serving.
4 net carbs per serving (1 whole cup)
35 g fat
1 g protein
The recipe is for 2 cups of radishes. If you cook for three cups or bunches you can leave the amount of oil and spices the same, but add a little more if you are cooking four bunches.
I especially enjoy these roasted radishes when we have fish for dinner.