Tender Pieces of Chicken Breast over Leafy Greens, Avocado, Tomato and Quinoa with Avocado, Yogurt and Lime Dressing. A delicious and healthy weeknight dinner choice the whole family will love.
Choose whichever leafy greens you prefer for this salad, whether it be baby spinach, lettuce, urugula or a spring mix.
This recipe is serves two people as a main course. Add half chicken breast for each additional person you will be serving. If you have a total of 3 breast or more you need to double the spices as well as the dressing and salad ingredients.
Here is how I make it:
1. Cook 1/4 cup red quinoa per two people you are serving (follow the instructions on the packaging), but add 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1/2 tsp. salt. When all the water has evaporated, let cool and fluff with a fork.
2. Meanwhile Preheat you oven to 425F degrees. line a baking dish with aluminum foil, shiny side down. Make sure to have large enough foil pieces to cover the chicken with.
3. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper and 1/4 tsp. kosher salt (or regular salt) to the foil and stir well to combine. (If cooking more than two breasts, double the amount of spices).
4. Rub the chicken breast(s) in the mixture, make sure both sides gets coated. Cover tightly with foil and cook for 20 minutes or more depending on the size of the chicken breast. I find that even the organic chicken looks like they have been on steroids and most of the time need more cook time. When the chicken is done or close to done, set your oven to broil, unwrap the chicken and broil for a few minutes to get some color, keeping a close eye on it so it does not burn.
5. While the chicken is baking, make the dressing by adding 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or Sour Cream, 1/2 avocado, 1 clove garlic, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1/4 tsp. kosher salt to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If serving more than four people, double the dressing recipe).
6. Finely chop 1/4 red onion, dice 1 1/2 avocado and 2 tomatoes.
7. In a large salad bowl mix together 4-5 cups or handfuls of leafy greens, the chopped onion, the tomatoes, avocado, quinoa and dressing. Cut the chicken breast into strips and layer on top, or you can mix those in as well. If serving more than 2 people, add more leafy greens, avocado and tomato. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves (optional).
Here is what you need to make Chicken Salad with Quinoa and Avocado:
Chicken (per two people serving):
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt (preferably kosher)
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup lime juice (or the juice of one lime)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
4-5 cups or handfuls of leafy greens
1 1/2 avocado, diced
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup red quinoa, cooked
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves (optional).
Cook the quinoa by following the instructions on the packaging. Add a tbsp. olive oil and a drizzle of salt.
Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Put aluminum foil in a baking dish, shiny side down. Put 1 tbsp. olive oil in the center of the foil and add the spices. Stir to combine. Dab the chicken breast in the spices to coat both sides, then wrap the foil around the chicken and seal tightly. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Set your oven to broil, uncover the chicken and broil for a few minutes until the chicken get a nice color - keep a close eye on it so it does not burn). Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing it into strips.
Combine all the dressing ingredients into a blender and lend until smooth and creamy.
Arrange the leafy greens, quinoa, avocado and red onion in a bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Add the chicken strips on top. Combine with the rest of the ingredients if you prefer.