Tender pieces of chicken, bell peppers, scallions, peas and onion flavored with cumin, chili and garlic and mixed with steamed rice - Chicken Fried Rice make the perfect one pot dinner that adults as well as children love.
Fried rice is common in several Asian countries, but is believed to have originated in South of China as an avoidance to throw away leftover steamed rice. It is believed the idea travelled with the nomads to other Asian countries.
Here is how you make delicious chicken fried rice:
1. To a large pot add chicken thighs (at least 6), 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp. ground cumin, and 2 tsp. chili powder (not the hot kind). Then add 4 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium heat (5.5 out of 10). Let it boil for two-three minutes then reduce the heat to low (1.8 out of 10). Let it simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. (If you want to make it real quick and simple you can purchase ready made chicken broth and a unflavored grilled chicken).
2. Remove the chicken from the broth and strain the broth through a mesh colander and into a large bowl, you will use the broth to cook the rice in. Clean the pot so you can use it again for the rice.
3. Wash 2 cups of rice (preferably Jasmine) to remove the starch. I use a mesh colander for this. Add the rice to the clean pot and add 4 cups of the chicken broth you just made. Add 1/2 tsp. salt, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Let it boil heavily for two-three minutes, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer until rice is done (about 20 minutes).
4. Meanwhile, in a mug, scramble two eggs with two tbsp. water together. Add 1 tbsp. butter to a wok or large pan over medium/high heat and scramble the eggs until cooked. Remove the scrambled eggs from the wok and set aside.
5. Chop one white or yellow onion, 1 red bell pepper, one green bell pepper and slice 6 scallions (green onions).
6. Add two tbsp. of avocado or canola oil to the wok and sauté the onion, while stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until translucent. Meanwhile, break the chicken thighs into smaller bite size pieces.
7. Add the bell peppers and 1 cup frozen green peas to the wok and and cook for a few minutes until tender. Add 4 cloves of minced garlic, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, and two tbsp. black bean sauce to the wok and sauté for one more minute. Add the chicken, steamed rice and scallions and gently stir to combine. Fry for a few minutes until all the ingredients and flavors are properly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Here is what you need:
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs at room temperature
4 ½ cups water
1 1/2 tsp. salt (divided)
1 tsp. pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder (not the hot kind)
2 cups uncooked Jasmine rice
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. butter
2 eggs + 2 tbsp. water
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, deseeded and diced into small squares
1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced into small squares
1 cup frozen green peas
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 scallions, sliced
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. black been or yellow been sauce
To a large pot add the chicken thighs and top with 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp. cumin and 2 tsp. chili powder. Cover with 4 ½ cups of water and bring to a boil on medium heat (5.5). Once it has boiled for about 2 minutes reduce the heat to low (1.8) and let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the broth. You will need the broth to boil the rice in. Drain the broth through a mesh sieve and into a clean bowl or mug.
Rinse the rice in clean water to get rid of the starch. Add the rice (2 cups) to a large pot and pour in 4 cups of the chicken broth. Add 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover and bring to a boil on high. After it has boiled for a couple of minutes reduce the heat to low, cover and let steam until done (about 20 minutes).
Meanwhile, crack the two eggs into a mug or small bowl and scramble with two table spoon water. Add a tbsp. butter to a wok or large pan on medium heat. Fry the eggs for a couple of minutes while scrambling them. Remove the eggs from the wok. Add the vegetable oil to the wok and fry the onion on medium heat until translucent. Add the bell peppers and peas and cook for a few minutes until tender. Add the minced garlic, black bean sauce and cayenne pepper and fry for one more minute. Remove from heat until rice is cooked. Break the chicken thighs into bite size pieces.
Return the onion and bell peppers to medium heat and add the chicken, rice and scallions. Stir gently to combine and fry for a few minutes until all the ingredients and flavors are properly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.