Deliciously spiced creamy white wine sauce with roasted cherry tomatoes over al-dente pasta and chunks of salty smoked salmon makes for an out of this world tasty pasta dish that is easy to make and sure to be loved by everyone you serve it to.
My husband is not a pasta fan, but my teenager is, so I had to come up with a tasty pasta recipe we all would like. 1. We all like food a little bit spicy, 2. We all like salmon, 3. We all like fresh herbs. I am very happy with this recipe, and so is the rest of the family.
Here is how you make it:
1. Crush 4 garlic cloves and mix with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Set aside for flavors to merge.
2. Set the oven to 375 °F. Cut 1 pint cherry tomatoes in half and add to an oven proof dish. Drizzle with salt and pepper, 5-6 strands of fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp. dried thyme) and 2 tbsp. of canola or avocado oil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile cut the smoked salmon into bite size pieces. Chop one onion, 10 fresh basil leaves, 2-3 strands of fresh oregano leaves, 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley and prepare 1 tbsp. lemon rind.
4. Fry 1 chopped onion in 1 tbsp. canola oil over medium/high heat for a few minutes until translucent. Add 1 cup white wine and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5-7 minutes until alcohol has evaporated and liquid has been reduced to half.
5. Add the onion/wine mix and the roasted tomatoes to a blender or Nutri bullet to crush into a smooth sauce. You can skip this step if you do not mind tomato or onion chunks in your sauce. I don't mind chunks, but I have a very picky teenager that sits and picks out any chunks so I have started adding this step.
6. Add 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 1/4 crushed red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp. black ground pepper and 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper. (Since my family like it quite spicy I double the red pepper flakes to 1/2 tsp.).
7. Add 1 cup of cream to the sauce, bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and let simmer for a few minutes while preparing the pasta. When pasta is almost done, remove the sauce from the heat and add the smoked salmon chunks.
8. Preparing the pasta: Bring a large pot of water with a dash of salt to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al-dente (Usually 10 minutes). Drain the pasta and add it back into the large casserole.
9. Add the garlic/olive oil mix and give it a stir. Add the pasta sauce and mix well. Lastly add the fresh herbs and lemon rind. Taste to see if you need to add a little more salt. Serve by itself or with bread or garlic bread.
Here is what you need for the Smoke Salmon Pasta with Creamy White Wine Sauce Recipe:
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes (which is one basket or 1 1/2 cup)
4-6 strands of fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp. canola or avocado oil (divided 2+1)
1 onion, chopped (I use white onion)
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup cream (cooking cream or heavy cream)
1 pack of Penne or other pasta
6-10 oz. Smoked Salmon - cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
10 fresh basil leaves
2-3 strands of fresh oregano leaves
1 tbsp. lemon rind
Bread/Garlic Bread to serve.