Sweet and Sour Chicken is one of my go to recipes on a week night as it is super easy and quick to make. Sweet & Sour Chicken is served in almost every Chinese restaurants in the Western World, but the funny part is, it does not come from China!! It was invented in the little China Towns of the United States! Sweet and Sour is not a common flavor in China at all.
Sweet and Sour Chicken is pretty tasty, and most children will love this dish. It is packed with flavors and savory juices.
Since it is such a quick dish to make I always start by putting on the steamed rice before I start prepping the Sweet and Sour Chicken. I like to serve either brown or white Jasmine Rice with this dish.
Here is how you make Sweet & Sour Chicken at home:
1. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Stir together the egg white, corn starch and 1/4 tsp. salt into a bowl and add the chicken pieces. This should marinate for at least 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together pineapple juice, ginger, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt and cayenne.
3. Cut the bell peppers into 1/2 inch chunks or triangles. Slice the scallions.
4. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a wok on high heat. Add the chicken pieces and fry on both sides until they have a light brown color, just a couple of minutes on each side.
5. Add 1 more tbsp. oil and the bell peppers and stir fry for a couple of more minutes.
6. Add the pineapple chunks, pineapple juice mixture and let it cook for another two minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
7. Take it off the heat, add the scallions and let it rest for a few minutes while the sauce thickens a little. Make sure to test a chicken piece, there should be no pink inside. Once it is done resting I give it a stir to mix in the scallions.
Here is what you need:
1 egg white
2 tsp. cornstarch
½ tsp. salt - divided
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
1 can (8-10 oz.) pineapple chunks, juice reserved (about 1 cup pineapple chunks)
1 inch fresh grated ginger
¼ cup apple sider vinegar or white vinegar
¼ cup ketchup
3 tbsp. brown sugar
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. high heat cooking oil such as canola, avocado,
grape seed or peanut oil
2-3 bell peppers, various colors, seeded and cut into ½ inch pieces
3 green scallions, sliced for garnish
Jasmine Rice to serve
In a bowl whisk together egg white, corn starch, and ¼ tsp. of the salt. Add the chicken
pieces and stir to coat evenly. Let sit for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together pineapple juice, ginger, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt and cayenne.
Set a wok or large sauté pan over high heat. Add one tbsp. oil to the heated wok. Add the bell pepper chicken chunks and stir fly until light golden brown, not more than 2-3 minutes. Add another tbsp. oil and the bell peppers and stir fry for a couple of more minutes.
Add the bell pineapple chunks, and pineapple juice mixture to the pan. Let simmer for 2 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat. Add the sliced scallions and let the chicken rest for a few minutes until the sauce thickens. Taste to see if more salt is needed. Make sure to test a chicken piece before serving to make sure has no pink inside.
Serve with steamed Jasmine Rice.